Durham Ranch House
Built in 1873 by John Jefferson Durham, the Durham Ranch house is a 2-story rock, colonial residence. J.J. Durham was first to teach school in Hamilton. He owned several thousand acres of land, fought in the Civil War and was an early merchant of general merchandise.
Francis Marion Graves Home
The Francis Marion Graves Home was built 1872. It is an early Texas ranch style, 2-story, hewn rock home.
J.J. (Jack) Durham House
This 2-story residence was built by Alabama-born John Jefferson (Jack) Durham (1835 through 1921), who settled in Hamilton County about 1860. He lived on his large ranch before erecting this town home in 1884. The stone for the structure came from his land. Durham, a teacher, rancher and merchant, served as a director of Hamilton College from 1884 to 1889. He donated $5,000 to help bring a railroad here in 1907.
This house was purchased in 1973 by Rusty Burkett, who restored it and recorded the home as a Texas Historic Landmark in 1976.
The Manning-Gordon-Henderson House is located at 121 South Rice Avenue. Local contractor Louis V. Manning built this house between 1880 and 1885 on land inherited from his father, pioneer Exekiel Manning, and lived here until 1904. The John H. and Abbie Gordon family owned the house from 1907 to 1936 and the Oliver Dow and Minta Henderson family took up residence here in 1936.
A simple example of a cross-gabled roof Queen Anne house, its distinguishing details include fish-scale textured gables, cutaway bay windows, and a front entry porch with ornamental posts and brackets and a jigsawn frieze. Also of interest is the unusual siding flanking the entry door. This house was recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark in 1999.
The Bulman Bridge
The most complete and substantial of the remaining bowstring bridges in Texas, the Bulman Bridge was contracted by the King Bridge Company for the county in 1884. Originally located on CR 301 east of Hamilton, the bridge has been relocated and refurbished to the Pecan Creek Recreation Park
“Texas Rangers in Camp” Mural
The “Texas Rangers in Camp” Mural was painted by Ward Lockwood (1894 to 1963) in 1942 and is located in the Hamilton Post Office one block south of the square.
Located at the corner of Henry and Rice streets (Highway 281), the gallery is installed on the north wall of the last building on the west side of the square. This was a community project led by the Hamilton Economic Development Corporation in 2008. Community members and natives were asked to submit original artwork and photography related to Hamilton. After much interest in the project and many entries, these were the pieces selected for display.